Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Melon Coolers



This is a delightfully, amazing, refreshing treat to beat the heat.  Not only is it wonderfully tasting but also nutritious.  With summer fruit available in plenty this is a great time to try this satisfying  mix.

What you will need:

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
3 lbs. honeydew, cantaloupe or watermelon, rind removed, seeded and cut into 1 in. pieces (about 4 cups total)


1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer (do not stir) until the sugar dissolves.  2 to 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool completely.

2.  In a food processor, puree the cooled syrup and the melon until smooth.  Pour fruit pulp into metal loaf pan, cover and freeze until firm, about 3-5 hours.  The original recipe had you strain the juice out of the pulp before freezing.  We have done it both ways and love leaving the pulp in.  There really isn't much of a texture difference and you keep all of the great nutrition!




3.  When ready to serve, remove the pan from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.  Using a fork, scrape the surface of the melon ice to create flakes; divide among glasses and serve.

Just so you don't think that I am some crazy, creative person, you must know that I found this recipe in a Women's Day Magazine while I sat in the dentist office.  The great thing about modern technology is that I snapped a picture with my phone so that I could try it when I got home.  I hope you enjoy this one as much as my family does!  A+++

2 comments:

  1. I have some honeydew - I may have to try this - the kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, they look so refreshing and appetizing!! Bet even Grace loves these!

    ReplyDelete