Sunday, May 1, 2011

Why Shop After a Holiday?

I don't know about you but I enjoy shopping after a celebrated retail holiday.  You see, if you go at the right times you can get amazing deals on things that can be used for many different occasions.  Take for example this Easter.  Many items have colorful eggs or Easter sayings on them.  These work best to save for next year's Easter.  Other items have bunnies, chicks, flowers, polk-a-dots, or are just soft pastel colors.  These items can be used for spring events, birthday parties, gifts and what ever else you can think of.


If there is an item I really want and am unwilling to miss out on it, I will go shopping the day after to get a mild discount.  If I am willing to wait for great prices, a week seems to be the key so far.  I would love to know what everyone else has experienced with this. 






Different stores clearance things out at different rates.  If you look at the picture above you will see that I got many items at Walmart for only $12.25.  The reason for this is that they reduced all of their Easter things to $.25 an item.  Great!  I can use the Wilton cupcake decorations/picks and pink tissue paper for birthday parties for my little girls, the cellophane wrap is blue circles and works for my boy's parties.  The chocolate is a given for any occasion!  (Yes, that big bag of Ghirardelli Chocolate was $.25 - SCORE!)  I allowed each child to pick out two items as a special treat for shopping so well.  The kids had so much fun and it was easy on my pocket book!




This picture is of the items I found at Target.  There are considerable fewer for a bit more cash.  This group of items came in at a total of $15.00.  These items were found in the dollar section of the store and were only 50% off.  Target did have their Easter things on clearance for 75% off but I didn't find really useful things there.  Each of the above items were $.50.  I will use the pails for gifts or as treat buckets to send home after a birthday party.  The pencils, bubbles and stickers are great ways to fill them without breaking the bank.  The 4 packs of note cards can be used as invitations, notes to grandparents, or encouragement from me to my children.  The Sesame Street items I will tuck away in my gift box to add with some paper and other art supplies as a gift.  The magnetic tablet is on my fridge and the plant sticks were just so cute.  I plan on using  them in my flower gardens. 

So, I would love to hear about your after season retail shopping and any hints, tips or great ideas that you are willing to share.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! After your great weight loss of 15 lbs. the past three weeks, you deserve at least one of those chocolate Ghirardelli squares or maybe eat the ears off that chocolate bunny at least!!
    I could help if you need assistance....Mom

    ReplyDelete