Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Recipe for a Happy Mom

We went to a different church this Sunday.  It is called The Crossing.  The title of the series was The Naked Truth About Men and Womenhttp://www.crossing-church.com/#/watchlisten  This will take you to the page where you can listen and watch if you want and decide what parts might be for you (This is not an x-rated site).  Today they addressed women, last Sunday's was for the men.  Both Sunday's, as I understand it, give insights for both sexes to glean from (that includes those who are single).  There were lots of good things shared that I want to think about over the next couple of weeks.  Those who know me well, know that I am always asking myself if I am doing, giving, addressing my "issues", and challenging myself enough.  Today the challenge was one sentence that spoke volumes to my heart.  "My kids deserve a happy mom."  James 1:2-5 is the scripture I have based the name of my blog from, Pure Joy.  It goes like this: 


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all with out finding fault, and it will be given to him."


There are so many awesome nuggets of truth promised in that small section of the Bible.  I want to have pure joy whenever life gives me tough times.  I am not talking about the joy that we have when we feel good or happy.  I am talking about a joy that comes from God in the middle of my life when it really sucks.  There is a reason we go through tough times.  Times can look like the day when no matter what I touch breaks, to my kids disobeying at every turn, some one who has a co-worker that talks behind their back to be spiteful, all the way through someone being betrayed by the one they love.  The list of tough times is endless and how we can have joy in those isn't easy.  In fact, many times it feels impossible.  I do know that this type of joy isn't something we can manufacture ourselves.  I know it has to be a gift from God and from Him alone.  Tough times are hard and come in so many circumstances of life that no one can avoid them.  Everyone has them.


So, what does this have to do with being a happy mom?  If I am not seeking the giver of pure joy in my every day moments, I am not going to find happiness.  I will walk around frustrated, disappointed, rejected, empty, lonely and feeling like I have failed.  (Been there...Done that!)  That is not a recipe for a happy mom and my kids deserve a happy mom.  


Here is my commitment:  I commit to asking God, the giver of pure joy, to give me the wisdom I need to handle every circumstance I find myself in.  I will ask Him to show me how to have His joy and trust that He will show up and give it to me.  I am going to live with pure joy because "my kids deserve a happy mom."


How about you?  What to make the same commitment?  There is only one problem...If you don't know the giver of pure joy, how can you believe that He will give you this joy?  Find out, get to know Him.  His word is good.  Give me a call and let's talk over coffee, pop or tea.  I will bake something for us to eat and we can talk about this guy who gives pure joy to anyone who asks for it.  I promise, you won't regret it!

3 comments:

  1. Melinda, I don't think that that Scripture says that Christians are supposed to always be happy. It says that their attitude towards suffering should be one of acceptance/ joyful that we can suffer as Christ did, not joyful about the particular issues. Our kids need to know that all of our feelings are okay. It's what we do with them that can be good or bad. Joy does not equal happiness. The opposite of this verse would be bitterness or discouragement about our circumstances. We can be thankful and joyful for the fruit that suffering produces and still have a variety of emotions. We are not joyful when our children sin. Not trying to lecture you, just want to make sure you don't accept any false guilt

    I think you are one of the most joyful people I know. God is always working on us, of course, and I don't want to negate anything He may be doing in your life. Just know that while our kids watch our responses to stress, that does not mean that we have to always be happy. Jesus wept, and Jesus was very stressed at times.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I said from above..."I want to have pure joy whenever life gives me tough times. I am not talking about the joy that we have when we feel good or happy. I am talking about a joy that comes from God in the middle of my life when it really sucks." Hope that helps you see a bit about where God is leading me. He is calling me into further dependence on Him and not my own ability to make happy feeling. Thanks for the thoughts!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good, glad to read that clarification. You are an amazing woman and an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete