Thursday, March 17, 2011

Whole Wheat Chicken Enchiladas


This is an amazing recipe shared with me by my dear friend (I call her sister) Jenni Pearson.  I have also frozen these as a freezer meal and they turn out great.  I will tell you more about that in a moment.  This is what you will need:

1 onion, chopped
2T. butter
1 1/2 c. shredded chicken
1 1/2 c. enchilada sauce (divided) - you can also substitute picante sauce
3 oz. cream cheese
1 t. ground  cumin
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
7 or 8 whole wheat tortillas - you can also use white flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 and spray your 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Chop onion and saute in butter until softened, about 2 min.  Add chicken, 1/4 c. sauce, cream cheese (cubed) and cumin; heat thoroughly while stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 c. cheese.**  Spoon 1/3 c. mixture onto each tortilla and roll up.  Place seam side down in pan and cover with remaining sauce and then cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.

Optional Toppings:
Lettuce, sour cream, salsa, black olives, chopped onions, nacho cheese, guacamole, refried beans or what ever you sound good to you.

**Sometimes I will quadruple this recipe and turn it into 3 for the freezer and 1 for the table.  After I have added the cheese I put the meat mixture into freezer bags and seal.  When I am ready to use one, I can take the meat out and thaw it in the microwave.  I continue preparing according to the above directions from the point I left off.


3 comments:

  1. looks so yummy! where do i get shredded chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie,
    I like to use cooked chicken breasts but you can also use cooked whole chickens or canned shredded chicken. I have a link to a video that will show you how to shred it easier than I can explain in words. Let me know how it turns out for you.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Ji318h2NE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie,
    If you highlight, copy and paste the above link in your search bar you should get to the video.

    ReplyDelete