Friday, March 18, 2011

Fresh Tomato Soup




What's for lunch?  My children don't really care for tomato soup, not to mention Steven really doesn't care for it either.  So making fresh tomato soup is a stretch for my family.  I would love to tell you that they were all thrilled with it and asked for seconds...Sorry!  The surprise came in the fact that they didn't mind it.  Steven actually said he liked it and had a second bowl.  I really liked the soup and the full, fresh tomato flavor with a touch a sweetness.  


One of the things I love doing is flower and vegetable gardening in the summer.  In the fall we can and preserve all we can from our veggie garden.  The tomatoes that I used for this recipe were some we had canned.  There is joy and satisfaction in using what you have grown for your family.  God is good to help our garden produce a great abundance of food.  I can't wait for spring planting to start.


Here is the recipe.  I hope you enjoy it as much as Steven and I did.


4 c. tomato juice
3/4 c. chicken broth
3 T. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. tomato sauce (divided)
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
salt and pepper
1/2 c. heavy cream

Combine your chicken broth and enough tomato juice to make 4 c.  Melt butter over medium heat.  Add chopped onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add 1/2 c. tomato sauce, bay leaf and brown sugar.  Once the sugar in dissolved into the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes.  Stir in flour and cook for 2 more minutes.  Slowly add remaining tomato juice and tomato sauce.  Add baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt, bring to boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5-10 more minutes, until thickened.  Remove from heat and, in two batches, puree in the blender.  Once all the soup has been pureed, return it to the pot and add the cream.  Serve with cheese and additional salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. I don't, I repeat don't like tomato soup! But.... I will try it anyway. I will follow my own advice and try it, I may like it. Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great alternative to meat and wonderful way to use fresh tomatoes!!! Had a friend whose family always wanted "tomato soup" from her fresh tomatoes and I failed to get her recipe. This one sounds great!!!!
    It's also a very tempting photo, Melinda.

    ReplyDelete