Monday, April 25, 2011

Creamy Dreamy Caramel Rolls





Today my Caleb turns 8 years old.  In our home we let the birthday kid pick the menu for the day.  Caleb doesn't ask for much...lunch is boxed macaroni and cheese, dinner is crepes.  So, when he asked for caramel rolls for breakfast I was okay with that.  I found this recipe from the Rhodes web site and modified it just a touch.  I think I would make 1 1/2 times the amount of caramel because I love when it runs down the edges.  If you want a darker caramel you could use all brown sugar and that would darken it up.  The vote is in...They are a delicious and amazing rolls.  They go down easy and have a smooth, pleasantly sweet flavor.  I started these the night before and finished them up the next morning.  Here is how I did it...

16 frozen Rhodes Dinner Rolls
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. whipping cream


In a 9x13 sprayed pan I put the 16 rolls, sprayed them and then covered them with plastic wrap.  I put them into the refrigerator and went to bed.  

In the a.m. I got up and cut each of the thawed rolls in half.  Setting the halves aside...pour the melted butter, sugars and cream into your pan.  Mix them and then place the rolls back in on top of the cream mixture.  Spray your plastic wrap and cover rolls to let rise to double their size.  

(Quick speed rise-Pre-heat oven to 200 and then shut it off.  Place covered rolls in warm oven and check again in about 30 minutes.  When double the size, remove from oven and take plastic wrap off before you bake them.)


Put rolls into bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  You will see the caramel bubbling on the bottom edges and the tops will be a nice golden brown.  Remove from oven.  Cover your pan with another, slightly larger pan.  Hold the two pans together and flip them upside down causing the rolls to fall into the new pan and turning the delicious caramel to the top side.


Serve and Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Another great recipe, Melinda! Taking a "classic" and making it easier to prepare . . . I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete