Monday, April 11, 2011

Tuna Cakes


Before you tuna this one out, you need to hear me out.  There is only one person in our family that likes tuna and it is ME!  I love to mix it with mayo, spread it on a bagel, cover it with a ring of pineapple followed by a slice of cheese.  I put the whole thing in the oven to heat through and then broil to slightly brown the cheese.  I love tuna salads and tuna hot dishes.  All of this to say I don't get tuna very often since I am the only one that will eat it.


As I was making dinner tonight I was trying to use things up that we have on our pantry shelf.  I thought of the tuna.  I decided to make it similar to a potato cake that Steven really enjoys.  Here is what they had to say about the end results:


Steven "I am pleasantly surprised.  I am thankful for the garlic pesto in them."
Nicolas "They are really pretty good.  I'd like to have them again."
Caleb "It's okay."
Rebekah "It's good for your body."


So here is what I did, you be the judge...

2 - 5 oz. cans of tuna packed in water
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups crushed cracker crumbs (I used Club House and Toasteds Buttercrisp crackers)
1 T. Dried Tomato and Garlic Pesto from http://www.tastefullysimple.com/shopourproducts/allproducts/driedtomatogarlicpestomix209107.aspx
Salt and Pepper to taste
Small amount of flour
Oil (I used raw, extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil)


Beat eggs.  Open and rinse the tuna in a strainer with cool water, then added it to the egg.  Mix together.  Add the cracker crumbs, pesto, salt and pepper, mix.  



Place a small amount of oil in a fry pan and heat on medium heat.

 

Sprinkle a plate with flour.  Using a cutter or jar ring, press dough into a shape.  Lift ring and place cake in heated oil, cooking until golden brown.  Flip and cook other side to desired golden color.  Serve with tarter sauce or as my dear husband did, ketchup.

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed that you fed your whole family tuna and they didn't tuna YOU out the door!! Great strides come in itsy bitsy baby steps!! Congratulations Melinda!! You rock!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete